Saturday 24 January 2015

Freeze your takeaway pizza for perfect frozen pizza!

That's right - simple and effective! Usually when I order pizza to be delivered I buy too much on purpose. This means I can get stuffed on pizza that evening then enjoy some pizza for breakfast and have a tasty pizza lunch.



A few months ago Mrs Za was out of time and I bought 3 Domino's Italian style pizzas. I was munching through the first one when I got realised I was supposed to be at a friends so I had to run out. It was a heavy night and I didn't get back until the next day at which point my folks turned up with food for dinner. I knew I had two and a half pizzas in the kitchen but they we're going to compare with the fresh hot food my mum had made so we tucked into that instead.

I was at work the next day and when I got back late that evening my wide had a hankering for Chinese food. She's not the pizza maniac so I ordered the Chinese and I started to worry about my piza nearing a vintage 3 days old. Tomorrow would be the 4th day if I didn't eat it all tonight but after an Emperors Banquet for two I couldn't eat a thing.

Could I really throw the best part of 3 Dominos pizzas in the bin? Of course not but I also couldn't eat it today and by tomorrow it would have to be binned. It was actually Mrs Za who came up with the idea of freezing it and what an idea it was. I grabbed some sandwich bags, sealed each one individually and chucked them in the freezer. The next day I was curious and took one out to see how it looked.

It looked fine and the bag seemed to have protected it from getting frostbite. I popped a couple of slices in the oven in my pizza tray at about 160C and watched. About 5 minutes later I saw the first bubble on the cheese and took them out. I had my first bit and chewed - and it tasted great! It was a little dryer than a fresh Dominos but apart from that I think it could have identified it blindfolded.

Now when I order pizza, I usually order about triple what I need. One for that night, one for the next day and one for freezing. I wait until the pizza destined for the freezer has cooled almost completely (usually within about 30 minutes) bag each slice individually in those cheap foodbags that you get 1000 in a roll, and try and freeze them flat and level in the freezer.

I don't know how long the pizza takes to freeze but when you re-heat it the next day all you need to do it put them in the oven on around 140-160C (and never in the microwave!) and you'll have fresh takeaway pizza, as if it was just delivered!

Give it a try or let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for freezing your pizza!

Cool font from here - http://www.dafont.com/ifc-railroad.font

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to recommend a pizza that I've haven't reviewed yet or think I'm wrong? Big whoop - wanna fight about? Post your comment below x